The castle was built as a mediaeval hilltop fortress, probably around the year 1200, and was first mentioned in documents in 1259. Known as the “Upper Castle” since the 18th century.
Until the 15th century, ownership of the castle was divided between the territorial lords of the time: the Archbishop of Cologne and the Count of Nassau. After 1421 the Catholic counts held the sole authority over the city and the castle of Siegen. The present appearance of the main castle building dates mainly from the 16th–18th centuries. Since 1905 the Upper Castle has housed the collections of the Siegerland Museum of Art and Regional history. The centrepiece is the Rubenssaal in which eight original paintings by the baroque artist, who was born in Siegen, are on permanent display. A significant collection of portraits of the Nassau territorial lords can be viewed in the Oraniersaal (Orange Room). -> Inside the Upper Castle is the Siegerland Museum The Upper Castle and the Siegerlandmuseum is part of the City Tour.
Das Obere Schloss beherbergt das Siegerlandmuseum, das zu den dort hinterlegten Zeiten geöffnet ist.
Updated: 10 23, 2018