The Church of St. Mary is the only Catholic church situated inside the erstwhile city walls and is also Siegen’s only sacred building dating from the Baroque period.
The church is part of the City Tour
The Church was built 1702–1725 on the site of St. Johannis' monastery church which was burned down in the Thirty Years' War. St. Mary's is the final resting place of William the Silent's grandparents, Count Johann V of Nassau and his wife Elisabeth Landgravine of Hessen-Marburg, amongst others. Destroyed by bombing in 1944, the church was reconstructed by 1948 and underwent extensive renovations in 1972 and 1994. The church is part of the City Tour.