Since 1962, the municipal gallery Haus Seel has been exhibiting works mainly by artists from this region but also by transregional artists. The gallery goes back to the artist Anna Seel who left her house (in the 1930s, she lived at 6, Löhrstraße) to the town council after her death in 1938.
She wished for the establishment of a museum of fine art with the ground floor used permanently for temporary exhibitions and the first floor dedicated to purchased pictures. She left several of her own paintings as base stock.The council carried out Anna Seel’s wishes until the building was completely destroyed in the bombing raid on Siegen on December 16th, 1944. When reconstruction of the building to its previous state proved impossible, the council sold the building plot in the 1950s and used the proceeds to buy a plot at the Kornmarkt, where “Haus Seel” can be found today.In addition to art exhibitions, lectures, readings and concerts also take place in the Municipal Gallery Haus Seel.
Gesellschaft für Stadtmarketing Siegen
Updated: October 25, 2018